The Alamo Revisited!
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called
and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and
the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word! Be ready in season and out of
season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will
come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because
they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their
ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things,
endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
This is being written only a few days before the United Methodist Church General Conference of 2004 opens in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on April 27th.
At this point in time the movie, "The Alamo," is proving to be very popular with movie goers. Perhaps a bit of a parallel can be drawn here -- a huge Mexican army of over 5,000 men under the leadership of Santa Anna advanced against a small band of brave and determined men occupying a place known as the Alamo in the latter days of February 1836. They numbered 186 and included Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, and Will Travis, who was only 23 years old. They stood against the Mexicans for 13 days before being overrun and killed. Near the beginning of the siege by the Mexicans, Travis sent out a message:"Fellow Citizens & Compatriots: I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise the garrison are to be put to the sword. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. VICTORY OR DEATH! P.S. The Lord is on our side."
It has been one of a number of highlights in the history of the United States. The men willingly sacrificed their lives in the conflict, but as some have noted -- Texas is now a part of the United States and not part of the nation of Mexico because of what happened at the Alamo!
With that bit of inspiration in mind for a challenge, allow me to become somewhat personal for a bit.
The sodomite/lesbian cartel is advancing like the Mexican army did against the Alamo -- only the movement of this outfit is to change laws and ordinances both outside as well as inside the church. The goal has been and always will be one of universal acknowledgement of sodomy and lesbianism as being morally acceptable lifestyles without any objection, legal civil and church sanctioned marriage, adoption of children and recognition as being legitimate "families," all the benefits shared among the "partners" as is now the privilege of heterosexual married couples, and full inclusion in the total life of the church including ordination into the pastoral ministry of the church!
As they advance with widespread support from every facet of society plus supportive elements within the church, including a number of church leaders, there is much talk centering on the subject as to how to respond, plus threats that if our church (in this case, the United Methodist Church) begins to alter its position slightly and crack the door a bit more to those who are frothing at the mouth since they have tasted blood at the Karen Dammann trial, then we'll leave -- in some cases, maybe a whole congregation will walk, whether they can keep the property or not!
Here is my "battle plan!" It may be altered a bit in weeks to come, but this is the heart and core of it!
I've been a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1959. I started out in the former Erie Conference (consisting of only 4 districts) of the former Methodist Church in northwestern Pennsylvania. Then came merger with the Pittsburgh Conference in 1962 -- then merger with the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968 and a denominational name change to the United Methodist Church, which is an oxymoron as far as the name is concerned! And if you want to give a graphic description of what an oxymoron is in the dictionary, then just cite the United Methodist Church as a perfect example!
During those early years I finished my college work and my seminary work. I served congregations in Kentucky and parts of western Pennsylvania.
I've seen the bitter fruit of what results from decades of sowing seed that essentially says, "God's Word does not really mean what it says!" And then we proceed to give it our peculiar "spin" which justifies our rebellion against a holy God as we sidestep personal responsibility and accountability!
Here is how it is:
- The sodomites and lesbians will never drive me out of the church.
- The sodomites and lesbians will never force me to confess that their way of life is morally acceptable -- it is an ABOMINATION! It always has been and it always will be -- and that's not my opinion -- that is how God labels it and if you don't agree, then you take the issue up with Him -- He'll show you, if you let Him! And don't throw up your biased "scholars" who have given the green light for the practicing of sodomy and lesbianism -- God is not impressed with those people since He has made available to each of us the greatest world renowned Scholar to ever write a volume of information from which we can learn the basic and eternally critical facts of life -- His name is the Holy Spirit!
- The sodomites and lesbians will never get me into a "dialog" session with them, except under one condition and one condition only -- and that condition is that I make the first statement -- well, actually it is in the form of a question and that is,"Do you here and now repent of your sodomy or lesbianism (and whatever other sins of which you are guilty) and accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and Lord, and by His grace live a life of sexual purity as God defines it in His holy Word?"If the answer is "No!" then that is the end of discussion, pure and simple -- there is absolutely nothing more to talk about! The reasons I take this position are in a sense two-fold -- first, God's Word clearly labels the acts of sodomy and lesbianism as abominations, and second, if I had to repent of sexual sins along with many others, then I hold to the conviction that they have to repent of theirs too -- since God is impartial when it comes to demanding repentance from sin!
Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah. These are spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving only themselves; they are clouds without water, carried about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots; raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever. Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." These are murmurers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage. But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.
Jude 11 - 19 NKJV
- I will not "agree to disagree" with sodomites and lesbians and consent to working with them in the ministry of the church -- it may be that I will work with someone who is still in the "closet" and I am not aware of what that person really is or maybe have heard "rumors" but have no certain proof -- namely, an unrepentant sodomite or lesbian -- but if they have "come out" I will not consent to them holding elective office in the church or serving in a special capacity such as Sunday School teacher, youth leader, pianist, etc. no more than I would consent to one serving who is openly practicing incest in his or her family, or sexually abusing children, or practicing an open adulterous relationship with one or more women, or openly engaging in bestiality with a Holestein heifer!
Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people." Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate," says the Lord. "Do not touch that is unclean, and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the LORD Almighty." Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
2 Corinthians 6:14 - 7:1 NKJV
At this point or even before, I'm already labeled a "homophobe" plus many other tags that are automatically assigned to all persons who will not condone sodomy and lesbianism as being morally acceptable in our culture and our world at large. And a part of the criticism also includes the accusation that to say things which I have just said is to be unloving and just plain unchristian! But that is not true -- sodomites and lesbians by the dozens are welcome to come to my church or my home at any time, and for those who are struggling with this problem, I'm willing to spend as much time as is needed to help, counsel, pray, encourage, or whatever in order that Jesus will become real in their lives as Savior and Lord -- that they will experience, as I did, the miracle of becoming a "new creation" (2 Corinthians 5:17) in Him and deliverance from a destructive lifestyle!
But that is where a monumental barrier exists -- the majority of these people have served notice -- they have no intention of repenting and for anyone to suggest that they should constitutes nothing less than being a self-righteous judgmental hypocrite -- if they can succeed in laying a "guilt trip" on me and shut me up, they continue on their way to overrun the spiritual "Alamo" and proceed with full intent to defeat the last element of resistance!
"I listened and heard, but they do not speak aright. No man repented of his wickedness, saying, 'What have I done?' Everyone turned to his own course, as the horse rushes into the battle. Even the stork in the heavens knows her appointed times; and the turtledove, the swift, and the swallow observe the time of their coming. But My people do not know the judgment of the LORD. How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? Look, the false pen of the scribe certainly works falsehood.The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken. Behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD; so what wisdom do they have?"
Jeremiah 8:6-9 NKJV
So, I'll stay in the United Methodist Church -- no matter what, and when the day comes, and if I'm still around when the Book of Discipline has been changed to the extent that sodomy and lesbianism are deemed to be acceptable, I'll continue to oppose it and speak out against it as long as God gives me breath! At the same time I will continue to declare as I have done for decades that Jesus Christ will save to the uttermost all who seek mercy and forgiveness by repenting of all sin, sexual and otherwise!
And by the way, when it comes to the content of what I have preached for nearly half a century -- that content will be recognized as being in full agreement with the basic doctrines of the United Methodist Church as found in the Book of Discipline and this can be verified by members of churches where I have served -- can those who preach that sodomy and lesbianism are morally right say the same? So why should I leave the church in which the doctrines of that church are those I have preached and lived by (and which agree with God's inspired revelation) all these years and those whose lifestyles and teaching are diametrically opposed to all that those doctrines represent just move in and take over? When a cancer invades the body, did you ever see a surgeon retreat and just let it take over without any kind of resistence? That's just another very honest way of looking at what is happening! How about thinking on that before you drift off to dreamland tonight?
But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: for men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was. But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
2 Timothy 3:1-12 NKJV
And it may be that with the pressure to pass "hate crimes" legislation and further fine-tuning of that to include "hate speech" which means to speak or preach against sodomy and lesbianism, some of us may end up even doing jail time! Seems far fetched now, but look at what has happened just within the past 3 years! That is why, folks, God gave us 2 eyes -- a double vision is needed here -- one eye visualizing how it is now in this world and what the faithful followers of Jesus might expect by way of treatment as they contend with the defiant element of the world which refuses to repent -- the other eye looking beyond the limited things of earth and time into a glorious eternity and non-ending existence in the presence of our Lord and the joy of fellowship with His saints!
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
2 Timothy 4:7,8; 1 John 3:1-3 NKJV
The spiritual "Alamo" is under attack -- will you stand and fight, turn tail and run, or just keep your mouth shut and let a few who speak up and resist take all the flak! In closing I repeat what was said at the beginning -- they won't drive me out, and I will not compromise and say "nicey, nicey" things so that the sodomites and lesbians are "comfortable" in their abominable practices, and if I go down, I'll go down fighting to the last breath God grants me to draw!
Remember the Alamo!
April 19, 2004
Clayton D. Harriger
Elder in full connection
Western Pennsylvania Annual Conferenc
The United Methodist Church
and presently pastor of
Gipsy Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
It is time for You to act, O LORD, for they have regarded Your law as void. Therefore I love Your commandments more than gold, yes, than fine gold! Therefore all Your precepts concerning all things I consider to be right; I hate every false way.
"A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household! Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
Psalm 119:126-128; Matthew 10:24-28 NKJV
For further reference on UMC related & other relevant issues see:
[NOTE: Use return on your browser to come back here.][NOTE: Use return feature on your browser to come back here]NOTICE: Soulforce is a gang made up of a group of persons of different denominational backgrounds, including Mr. Jimmy Creech, defrocked United Methodist pastor of some time back. Soulforce's goal is to force full acceptance of sodomy and lesbianism in all churches without any restrictions. Be sure to read an interesting challenge to Mel White and members of Soulforce to take their crusade to new heights they may not yet have considered -- see Open Letter to Mel White and Others of Soulforce, Inc.!
- Death Knell for The United Methodist Church? OR Chew and Enjoy While You Can!
- A "Marriage" Proposal of Another Kind Conceived in Hell!
- The Camel Is Almost In Except for a Part of His Hind Leg and His Tail!
- About This Dialog Thing...!
- UMC Episcopal Endorsement of Same Gender Coupling!
- United Methodist Bishops Still Concerned About Children -- That Is, Up to a Point!
- "But doctor, I feel good and people say I look great!"
- If the United Methodist Church Goes Pro-Sodomy, What Then?
- A Resolution to Prepare for the UMC General Conference of 2004!
- Watch Out for That Other "Jesus!"
- What About Those GLBT "brothers and sisters"?
- Invitation to Judgement!
- Ripe for Judgment??? - more details and less graphics in this one with facts which point out how we are more than qualified to experience judgment at the hands of a holy God!
- Worse Than the "Black Death" -- It's the Porno Plague!
- A National Rage Against Violence, BUT Not Always!
- United States Holocaust Gallery!
- Trashing Sacred Gifts - 21st Century Style!
- Is the United States Going Down the Same Path As Samson?
- Popular Deities of American Culture!
- Imploding Our Culture by Destroying the Young!
- How to Dismantle a Culture in 3 Easy Steps!
- When God Uses the Heathen As a Whip!
- Portrayal of U.S.A's Hidden Horrors!
- RU-486 -- The Final Nail?
- Baby Parts for Sale!
- Justice Denied!
- Why So Heavy on the Abortion Issue Anyway?
- CDH's United Methodist Bishops "Project" for 2003! -- NOTE! The "project" continues in 2004
- Letter to W PA United Methodist Annual Conference Delegates to GC 2004
- What Can I Do?
T O P
Circuit Rider's Range (Main Area) Where It All Begins!
Ramblings from The Pen of a Maverick...!
CR's Leap of Faith! OR The Whole Spread of CR's Range!
Return to Building Walls with Untempered OR Tempered Mortar!
Bird's Eye View of CR's Range
What's New At CR's Range?
How to Become a Christian
For comments, complaints, or just plain axe-grinding, contact C. D. Harriger by clicking on Penelope, efficient mail hostess of Circuit Rider's Range, and she will set up the email form for you to fill out and send on its way